15 Apr 2013

What's covered under a Buildings Policy or a Contents Policy?

Sometimes it is confusing to Leaseholders when they suffer a loss and find that the Building Insurer says the damaged items are not insured and so they must submit their claim to their Contents Insurer. The most common type of insurance claim for residential blocks of flats is for water damage where water from a flat above leaks into your home. The easiest way to differentiate between what can be claimed for on the Buildings policy and what must be sent to your Contents insurer is to think:

“If I move could I take this with me?” 

The best way to understand this concept is to use examples:

Fitted kitchen units are damaged by water from above; you would not remove them and take them with you if you moved home and therefore the damage is claimable under the Building policy and not Contents. 

Click here to view the whole advert